11/09/2008

Checking out Moroni...

Yesterday we went down to Sanpete county to check out different places to live. As many of you know already, we are preparing to move down there this summer (once the fellowship is over).
Some of the choices:

Moroni - where the office is;
Mt. Pleasant - where the hospital is;
Ephraim where the college is (as well as WALMART and more people!).

So I thought would be fun to give everyone a little information on the area:
Sanpete County:
About an hour south of Provo
pop ~25,000 people

Moroni:
pop ~1200.
Has it's own Elementary school and the No. County Middle School
(as well as the Turkey Plant!)

Mt. Pleasant:
pop ~ 2,800
Has Elementary and the No. County High School
The closest golf course - 9 holes (although it may be closer to Fairview)

Ephraim:
pop ~5,200
Has Elementary and So. County Middle School
Also home of Snow College

There are 30+ lakes/ponds/rivers in the area with lots of mountain trails and such. Here are some of the bigger ones:
Lakes and reservoirs: Hamburger Lake, Harmonica Lake, Hartney Lake, Rush Pond, Marys Lake, Blind Lake, Blue Lake, Island Lake
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Acord Fork, PC Fork, Maple Fork, Peach Canyon Creek, Jimmys Fork, Petes Creek, Petes Fork, Pigeon Creek, Jason Creek

I think we are really leaning towards Ephraim or Moroni, but if anyone else has a suggestion let us know (please limit those suggestions to the Sanpete area!) ;)

7 comments:

  1. I have lived in places with 2,500 people and 10 minutes away from wal-mart and I honestly think I would go to a bigger town so that you don't feel so isolated. Our ward was in another town (and while in utah you will probably have your own ward) it still can be a little monday-ing. I recommend going to the "college town" and not living right next to the college. There are always nicer subdivisions away from campus that the students can't usually live in and those are the places that you want to be. Not in tiny tiny town America with nothing but the piggly wiggly... really one fast food place can get old (even for people who only go one a month).. so there ya go... I say for your sanity go to the bigger town! nicer homes, nicer neighbors, and less drive.. how far are you talking to the office if you are in Ephraim?.. i recommend talking to a realestate agent and asking what part of town is growing the fastest or the most wanted (northeast, southwest).. it will give you a lot more info...Ok enough rambling... ( let us know when you find something!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I hated that little disclaimer at the end. I was going to suggest leaving your family where they are and you commuting. Then maybe you would decide quickly that Provo is the place you need to be! Seriously, knowing the area as I do, I would see if Delta is hiring. Ok, now I'm serious. Mt. Pleasant is probably the prettiest, Moroni the stinkiest (those Turkeys can smell pretty nasty at times), Ephraim does have Walmart and some fun places to eat out. It's also the closest to the Manti Temple which is the best! So, I would probably go with Ephraim. However, considering school programs and such, it would be easier for dad to hop over and catch a ten minute program if it was right next door. So maybe Moroni would work best. Now I'm rambling. It's settled, you should stay in Provo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I will be very sad to see you go! We can't lose another great family in the ward!! Happy hunting for a great house though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So are you for sure taking a job in Moroni? I was hoping you would come over to the big city of Pittsfield (4300). One of the other physicians in the group just announced he is leaving!! Great opportunity, j/k. I would probably go towards the Ephraim area. It is nice but small. Moroni looked a little run down. You could probably sell a house easier in Ephraim, especially since it has the college. Congrats

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well.........You could move to Delta! Our doctor even said they tried to entice Mark here. But we can stop and see you when we go to the temple, no matter where you are up there. As Jackee said, having a bigger town and more people is an advantage. There's nothing here for adult education. I liked taking no-credit fun classes. Red Hats and DUP (which I've not gone to, cuz I"m not from LDS pioneers)are the only extra curricular activities available here. And Walmart is 75 miles away and the next town is 50 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! I found your blog through someone else's in the ward! You will be missed!

    I grew up in Ephraim, and have very fond memories of the whole Sanpete Valley. We acutally moved away when I was a junior and I went back to Snow College. While I am pretty sure I would not want to go back there as a single person, I would highly recommend "growing up" there. I often think of the big "trip" to Mt. Pleasant(to the bigger grocery store), Moroni (to the turkey plant--which is VERY stinky at times, I still can gag when I think of the smell of burning turkey feathers), or Manti to the 'bank' (Zions bank had a branch there). Good luck with your decision! Let me know if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are lots of small towns in California. In fact there is one about 45 minutes from our house Course Gold.
    Love Mom and Dad
    Rachel suggests going to Minkler it has a population of 30 and still is about 45 minutes awayfrom our house.

    ReplyDelete